Irene J. Beyerlein
Los Alamos National Laboratory
Fluid Dynamics and Solid Mechanics
Phone: (505) 665-2231
- Ph.D., Theoretical and Applied Mechanics, Cornell University, 1997; Minors in Materials Science and Probability and Statistics
- B.S., Mechanical Engineering, Clemson University, 1993
Research and Professional Experience
- Technical Staff Member, Los Alamos National Laboratory, 2000-present
- J.R. Oppenheimer Fellow, Los Alamos National Laboratory, 1997-2000
- Microstructural evolution in severe plastic deformation
- Interfaces and grain boundaries
- Twin nucleation and growth
- High-rate plastic deformation
F. Cao, I. J. Beyerlein, F. L. Addessio, B. H. Sencer, C.P. Trujillo, E. K. Cerreta, and G. T. Gray III, “Orientation Dependence of Shock Induced Twinning and Substructures in a Copper Bicrystal,” Acta Materialia 58 (2010), 549-559.
I. J. Beyerlein and L. S. Tóth, “Texture evolution in ECAE,” Progress in Materials Science 54 (2009), 427-510.
Z. Q. Wang, I. J. Beyerlein, ”Stress orientation and relativistic effects on the separation of moving screw dislocations” Physical Review B 77 (2008) 184112-1-14.
L. Capolungo, I. J. Beyerlein, “Nucleation and stability of twins in hcp metals,” Physical Review B 78 (2008), 024117.
Q. Xue, I. J. Beyerlein, D. J. Alexander, and G. T. Gray III, “Mechanisms of initial grain refinement of OFHC copper in equal channel angular extrusion," Acta Materialia 55 (2007), 655-668.
L. Capolungo, I. J. Beyerlein, C. N. Tomé “Slip-assisted twin growth in hcp metals,” Scripta Materialia 60 (2009), 32-35.
I. J. Beyerlein and C. N. Tomé, “Modeling transients in the mechanical response of copper due to strain path changes,” International Journal of Plasticity 23 (2007), 640-664.